Thursday, September 2, 2010

It begins...again!

Ahh, the world of college...it's endless complexities and exciting challenges, it's communities and ever-winding paths of discovery, it's triumphs and defeats. As you wrap up your first week here, I see many different stories unfolding that reflect the spectrum of emotion...from joy to struggle. And I'm reminded just how important one thing in particular is to the small universe of college: relationships.

As I watch new students begin to claim this campus as their own, I remember how it felt-to be in an entirely new environment, to have that sweaty-palm feeling constantly, to yearn for a foothold somewhere...anywhere that would lead to security and safety within the community. For some, the feeling of belonging literally falls into their laps. Some form tight bonds with their roommates right away, or join a team that allows for fellowship with many like-minded people. For others...the transition is bumpy, and uncomfortable. They miss home, their parents, siblings and high school friends. Classes are challenging, and they haven't "clicked" with their roommate or found the friendships they were hoping for. Things feel dis-jointed, and they are far from settled. To you who identify with those feelings, I ask you to hang in there. To press on and continue putting yourself out there. It may feel defeating if things haven't lined up yet, but they will. You are a part of this community for a reason, and good things are coming your way!

This advice doesn't come from someone who has never experienced what you are going through. Indeed, I've walked the exact road. In 2004 I was a nervous transfer student, setting up my life across the country from my parents (in Idaho) and wondering what the heck I was doing here. Eating in Marbeck was a challenge...simply finding a place to sit was a chore! I spent the first several weeks in limbo, trying to adjust and find my place. Luckily, I decided to try out for Camerata choir during the first week of classes. I made it, and as rehearsals began the 2nd week, I started to form connections. Those connections became friendships, which became close friendships and eventually I realized that I had found my ties to the Bluffton community! I also began catching up on the work in my literature classes and finding that I enjoyed the discussions and the personalities of my professors. The transition was a success...and it was TOTALLY worth the wait:)

To those of you who've plugged in here and are loving it... GREAT! I'm so glad, and I hope it continues to go well. For the ones wondering if this was the right decision, I ask you to hold on. It WILL get better. I know you heard this time and time again throughout your visits, orientations and the welcome weekend, but I will say it again: Bluffton is here for you! Don't be afraid to ask for help if you find yourself struggling. Talk to your professor after class. Stop by your RA's room in the afternoon. Come over to the admissions office and chat with your counselor. Reach out, and you'll find us reaching back to help. This is something I'll always be grateful for...that Bluffton really is made up of professors and staff members who are invested in each student''s success. I am a product of this community, and I'm thankful that God led me here...even though I didn't realize all He would do when I chose this university. You are here for a reason, and good things are on the way!

-Andrea

No comments:

Post a Comment