Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Traditions

For Bluffton University students, finals are just a few days away. The semester's end is within reach, and many are already packing their suitcases and loading their cars for the trip home to three weeks of rest, relaxation, family and fun. I love this time of the year for many reasons, first and foremost because it is the season of our Lord's birth. As snows appear and the world falls into winter sleep, I'm reminded of how special Christ's coming was to a world waiting for rescue. Advent services at church mark that wait and call us to renew our devotion, patience and trust in God. He is still among us, and His Work can still be seen!
December is also special for me because of all the traditions that come with it. In just over a week, I will be flying back to my parents' home in Idaho, where I will be steeped in tradition! Mom and I will bake cookies for our neighbors, play a game or two of Scrabble and do our last-minute shopping together. Dad and I will go out for our yearly breakfast at a local cafe and watch all the college football bowl games (GO BOISE STATE!) There will be decorating, gatherings with extended family and the yearly Christmas Eve service at my home church. I love the feeling of celebration that lasts for two weeks straight, and always wait with great anticipation for that celebration to begin (this year is no exception!)
But above all, I love walking outside on Christmas Eve, wrapped in blankets with my dogs at my feet to watch the stars. They are so clear from the backyard on our farm, and my nose is frozen by the time I make it back inside for the night. But it's worth it!
As the yuletide spirit spreads, let's take time to be truly thankful for the blessings of life, family, friends and faith. May your Christmas traditions bring you joy and the peace of the season.
-Andrea

No comments:

Post a Comment